This is the group blog for the Ngee Ann Polytechnic School of Interdisciplinary Studies expedition to the Philippines. The trip is to facilitate a two country study - Singapore and The Philippines - on foreign domestic workers or FDW.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

DAY THREE - Manila, La Union, Illocos Norte - ...and some very tired buns!

We arrived safely at Illocos Norte. For the next two nights we will be at Northview Hotel, Laoag City. The 12 hour journey was unbelievably tiring. I slept most of the way. I am not sure if the rest did the same. The occasional times that I looked, they looked like they were sleeping. So I guess the great land route to see more of Luzon was a qualified failure to a certain extent! :c)

But the times when we were awake were informative. Padi fields abound with new constructions of houses. One suspects that is the remittance of Filipino overseas workers at work. One other telling sign was the proliferation of failure new and spanking clean Western Union signposts that dotted the major population hub in the trip up north.

I believe the journey itself is an experience as most of us have never been on a bus journey that long. The bus was comfortable and big.

We left Malate, Manila at 0630hrs but arrived inb Laoag City only at 1840hrs. The hotel was a bit of a letdown as it looked very rundown and no-frills. But then again, this is what immersion learning is all about, deal with what we are dealt with. The students are doing fine - a little disappointed but keeping their spirits and chins up.

No internet access in the Northview hotel rooms so the students can't skype home with my computer tonight.

Another full day tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats