Some thoughts.
Hi all, I am Amelia. Just felt like sharing a thought that i had during our meeting yesterday (:
This had occurred to me as i was chewing on pasta while listening to our guest speaker speak on something about foreign domestic workers being able to take minutes for meetings.. then about the organisation not having enough funding because the other organisations prefer to "support the citizens" instead.
I was thinking that.. are we afraid of empowering our foreign workers?
Like [bear with me for the terms i am going to use], we feel that these workers are in some way or other, a lower 'class' compared to us, so if we help them out, give them funding, provide them with opportunities.. We feel like we're giving these 'subordinates' of ours the chance to lord it over us?
By using 'we' i don't mean you guys, but perhaps more like myself and to some extent, some of the population? It sorta puts me off somewhat that i should have these thoughts, but i thought i'd just share them, and perhaps further explore the possibility of using some variation of this idea of 'we are afraid of empowering our foreign domestic workers' as a thesis to work on?
I'll end by saying that i am trying hard to change already T_T it's quite difficult to change notions that have been planted in my head since childhood, but by voicing out the desire to change, hopefully i can see something good come out of it (:
Till Thursday.
1 Comments:
Fear is something we are very good at. To be honest, while I am very concern with the welfare of FDWs, I am guilty of "enforcing" some of those constraints on their freedom that I hope to see rid of vis-a-vis my mom's helper. I am afraid too much freedom equals to her running away, bringing people home, etc... Fear leads to control and attempts to isolate the helper from any social environment except the family. Perhaps this comes from the fact that FDWs live with us 24/7. There are other fears. We fear if more foreigners come in, we get less jobs... hence stereotypes and discrimination is build up. Perhaps in this course we can find some answers?
10:09 am
Post a Comment
<< Home